In keeping with the strategic plan and the priorities of the MoEYI, to maximize the percentage of schools and other institutions that are provided with staffing, equipment, materials, curriculum offerings, support services and physical facilities that meet established standards of sufficiency, NET focused its attention on the following priority areas:
- Early Childhood Care and Development
- Safety, Security and Uniformed Groups in all schools
- Youth Development and Career Advancement
Efforts were made to garner resources to support activities under the following objectives:
- Infrastructure Development
- Renewable Energy
- Water Harvesting and Sanitation
- ICT in Education
Infrastructure Development – Most of projects undertaken in this area were designed to transform the physical plant of our nation’s public schools. This included, inter alia, construction of classrooms at the secondary level of the education system to meet the space demand; the construction of infant schools and a diagnostic centre and rehabilitation or renovation of schools at the primary level of the education system.
Renewable Energy- Work continued in the period under review on the School Energy Efficiency and Solar Pilot Project. This project is expected to be used to prove the viability of the introduction of solar and energy efficiency via a novel approach of an Energy Service Company (ESCO) Model through public private partnership.
Information & Communication Technology (ICT) – Work in this area was primarily focused processing donations of computers and related ICT. In channelling donations, NET ensured adherence to the ICT specifications for equipment which were established by the Ministry. We also prepared project proposals for funding to enhance the schools facilities to accommodate the use of ICT.
Water Harvesting and Sanitation – Under this area achievement include upgrades to the school’s sanitary facilities (bathrooms and canteen) and the installation of water storage facilities. We also prepared project proposals for funding to enhance the sanitation and water storage in several schools across the island.
- Enhanced the school environment to the benefit of an estimated 254,917 students across the education system.
- Processed in-kind donations valued at US$6,376,558.72 between September 2014 and March 2021.
- Negotiated & secured grants of approximately US$17,005,112.55 to enhance the education sector.
- Facilitated the removal of the shift system at 4 High Schools.
- Built 130 additional classrooms to ease overcrowding and provide school spaces for the removal of the shift system in 4 high schools.
- Construction of 2 new secondary schools, 1 new primary school & 3 new infant schools.
- Removed Pit Latrines in 67 schools.
- Facilitated the certification of 8 infant schools.
- Installed ramps in 82 schools.
- Improved sanitation & installed water harvesting systems in 15 schools.
- Improved the boundary wall or perimeter fencing in 11 schools.
- Established 10 community based parent places & provided capacity building support to 60 school based parent places.
- Provided training & capacity building opportunity for 876 educators from 218 schools in the School Wide Positive Behaviour Intervention Support Framework.
- Provided 35 walk through & 350 hand held metal detectors.
- Provided resources for 11 Youth Innovation Centres to enhance service delivery & youth engagement through homework assistance, performing arts and sports programmes.
- Provided 185 schools with operational safety equipment.
Check out our Annual Reports and Newsletters for detailed information on our initiatives, projects and financial reports: